Friends of the Library
What We Do
The Friends of the Cranbrook Public Library is a non-profit volunteer organization that strives to make a difference in the cultural and social life of the Cranbrook community as it relates to the Cranbrook Public Library. We are active in promoting increased library services, better facilities, and more programming directed toward the needs of Cranbrook’s residents.
Goals of the Friends of the Cranbrook Public Library:
- To focus attention on the library
- To encourage the use of the library’s resources and services
- To receive and promote gifts, endowments, and bequests in aid of our goals
- To organize community response and legislative support where needed
- To support the freedom to read and lifelong learning accessible to all without economic barrier
News & Events
The Friends’ are currently accepting donations (to be used at book sales) of good condition:
- Magazines (two years current)
- CD Audiobooks
- Board Games
We do not accept:
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Dirty, mouldy, or damaged items
Bring donations to the Library’s front desk during operating hours. A trolly is available for large loads upon request.
Friends’ Sale Shelf
Can’t wait for the next book sale? Check out the Friends’ Ongoing Sale Shelf beside the Welcome Desk in the Library. It is continuously restocked with some of the best items donated throughout the year – from current releases, to old favourites, to hobbies and crafts, to magazines, and even puzzles and board games.
At only $2 a book, it’s the perfect place to pick something up to read on vacation or at home. Also, feel free to grab a book bag at the desk for only $5 to help carry your items!
Adopt a Magazine
Help expand the Library’s magazine collection by purchasing a magazine subscription through the Friends on behalf of the Library! You will receive an income tax deductible receipt for your generous donation, while helping the Library to maintain our collection. Contact the Library for more information.
Become a Member
For only $10 a year, you will…
- Get first choice of items at member-only sales that take place before sales open to the public
- Receive 10% off on total price at any Friends’ sale
- Get a 10% discount on purchases from Huckleberry Books
- Take part in monthly meetings throughout the year to plan events and discuss Friends’ activities
- Have an active role in supporting the Library
Children are included under a parent’s membership. Membership year runs from September-August, with renewals starting mid-August until December. Print and complete the Friends’ Membership Form (PDF, 70 KB) at home and send it to us using the information on our Contact page, or pick up a printed form at the Library!
Current Executive Members
- President: Ursula Boy
- Treasurer: Jim Shepherd
- Secretary: Bernice Smith
- Brandi Boothman
- Lynda Cook
- Marilyn Forbes
- Shellie Hollister
- Laverne Radmore
- Jacqui van Geene
- June Vandenberg
- Kelli Widmer
- Michele Wilson
- Sandy Zesnik